Friday, February 13, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Indian Fairy Tales

For my extra reading diary this week, I read the first half of the Indian Fairy Tales. I really like these fairy tales. They are very different than the Georgian and Turkish fairy tales I read this week and last week, but still so interesting and fun. Like the Turkish fairy tales they seem to each have a lesson or a message woven into them. Its so very cool to me to be able to see the values that people find to be most important and how they weave them into stories to be used as a teaching method.

One of my favorite stories was The Magic Fiddle. I liked it in particular because the story was so full of magic. I also thought that the ending to the story was really interesting and quite a good message. After all of the ordeal that the girl is put through (she drowns in a well because of her sisters-in-law, she is turned into bamboo, was cut down, carved into a fiddle and carted around the country) she finally turns back into a human and sees her brothers and does  not react in complete anger. It says the only revenge that she took was to tell them that what they had done was wrong. I thought that was such an interesting ending to a story. I expected at the end that the brothers and their wives would be punished for their actions, but instead the girl acted with grace and not with vengeance. That was really cool to me.

The Lion and the Crane
I also really liked the first story The Lion and the Crane. This was another story that I really liked the message of. The crane does a big favor for the lion by helping him get something out of his throat, and when the lion should be showing that he is grateful to the crane, instead he responds only that the crane is lucky that he has not eaten him. The moral of the story was to show gratefulness to those who help you, and to always be gracious and kind to others. I really like that message and therefore enjoyed this story greatly. This is definitely a story that I would read to my children (when I have them, a wwaaayyyyy long time from now).

No comments:

Post a Comment