Thursday, February 19, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Filipino Tales

The stories in this unit (Filipino Tales) are really interesting to me. The first few that I read felt really lighthearted, where no one was really punished for doing wrong. However, then there were several stories which were much darker. All of them have been enjoyable to read though, and pretty short!

Chimpanzee
I really liked the story The Enchanted Prince. It was an interesting story to me because the woman who was scorned did not exact a revenge which had a horrible outcome. She instead decreed that the prince would be made into a monkey and his subjects and town into a forest filled with animals for many centuries. However after he would be turned back into a man by the love of a woman, and live happily ever after, ruling his kingdom. I thought it was so interesting that the scorned witch had made it so that he would eventually be able to marry and rule his kingdom instead of ruining his life forever. However, it did allow for a great story of a woman falling in love with a monkey who then turned out to be a prince!

I also really liked the story The Clever Husband and Wife. It was another story that I thought was pretty strange because the husband and wife were really deceitful and had lied their way into getting money from their masters several times, but when the masters found out were not upset at all. Instead they rewarded them by moving them into their house. It seemed weird to me that there was absolutely no punishment for the couple's deceitful methods, nor was anyone upset by their lies. But it was such a different outcome than the other stories I have read about lying and deceit in this class that I ended up really liking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment