Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Writing Review Week

I've really liked writing the stories for this class so far. I think its so fun to get to re-imagine stories and put them into my own words and give them my own twist. Through writing the different stories every week, I've definitely learned a lot about my writing style and the types of writing that appeal to me most.

Roman Temple of Aphrodite
I really love writing in first person. I've learned in this class that this is the way I feel the most connection to the characters. I love to focus on the depths of just a single character in stories. I always think it is cool to read a story or even just to imagine the story from each of the character's perspectives. I wrote a story during week 3 in the first person that I really loved. It was a scene from the Cupid and Psyche unit, and I wrote it from Psyche's perspective. I loved getting inside of Psyche's head and creating a stronger personality for her. The image to the left is the image I included in the story I wrote. I imagined this, but less in ruin (obviously), to be the setting of the story.

I also realize however that some stories are much harder to write in first person. Many stories lend themselves better to third person. I do love how third person writing really lends itself to being very descriptive. My first story I wrote for this class, I actually really really liked. It was a third person recounting of the Assembly of Achilles. It could be because of my love for Greek mythology, but I really felt like I was able to create an accurate and lasting impression of the assembly.

The story book project has been something that has really challenged me. I came up with a theme that I feel very strongly about, and I want to make sure that I do justice to the characters and their stories. I am a really slow writer and it sometimes takes me multiple attempts to get something out on paper that I really like. The feedback I have gotten each week after turning in the next aspect of my project (formulating ideas, writing style, actual writing) has been so helpful. It's both encouraging and directive and has helped me to create something that I am very proud of thus far. I cannot wait for it to be finished!

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't ever really put in any thought as to which type of writing I prefer to write in until you were mentioning it. That is something for me to really think about and consider for myself. I like the way you described the writing styles for first & third person and how some stories are easier to write in those types of styles. I agree that you can get to know a person better in this online class than you can in any other online type of class. I'm also taking online Trigonometry and it sucks. The other classmates are complete strangers and I'm finding it very difficult to communicate with the instructor and accessing tutoring services so that I understand the material better. (I'm not taking the class at OU)
    I also like the fact that we can comments and receive comments on our posts. I have also gotten quite a bit of feedback on many of my stories and other posts. Almost all of them are helpful and confirm that my writing is going well.
    Good luck with he rest of your semester and in this class. I have enjoyed reading your posts from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are able and happy to write in first person. I've started a couple of stories in first person then had to rewrite them. I always use too many Is (like this comment so far)... So congratulations on doing that and being proud of it! It's great that you are actually enjoying your storybook! Being proud of and enjoying your work makes it that much better!

    ReplyDelete