Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Commenting Review Week

I've really liked the commenting portion of this class. It's always a little weird being in an online class because you never really feel in touch with anyone in the class, sometimes even the professors. The commenting and feed-back in this class really combats that though I think. I feel like I've gotten to know classmates a little bit, and I just generally feel more connected in this class than I have in other online classes that I've taken.

Me when someone likes my story (really though,
 SheldonCooper gif)
I definitely think that the commenting portion is really helpful, especially because this is a class that is really writing based. Comments which are more detailed and are constructive are definitely more helpful than short comments. I really like comments that focus on different aspects of writing, like syntax and structure. Comments like that help me in future writing because I can refer to those and see how I need to alter my writing style to meet those critiques.

I also really like the act of commenting on other people's writing. Not only is it fun to be able to read people's stories, but I think in critiquing other people's work it helps me to become a better writer as well because I notice things that I don't necessarily notice in my own writing, but after I have seen it in someone else's I am more aware of it and better able to fix it in my own. Also I think reading other people's stories and commenting on the things that I like about them helps me in my own writing too, because I get to learn different styles and structures that work, are interesting, and easy to read and follow.

2 comments:

  1. Heyyyy. I’ve decided to creep back with my extra comments this week. You’re welcome. I totally agree with what you said about being critical of other’s writing helping you when writing your own. It’s also helpful to have someone else checking your work for you, as there are a lot of things that we might recognize in other people’s writing, but neglect in our own. That gif pretty much sums up how I feel when people like something I’ve written, too. I don’t usually share my writing with other people too much, so it’s nice to be reassured that I’m not terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I LOVE your image! I feel that way as well! That's so perfect. I'm pretty sure if Sheldon Cooper himself ever liked my story I would look like that times ten!
    I have to agree with everything you've said about commenting. I think it's definitely a rad way to talk to our fellow classmates, as well as get constructive feedback that not only helps our stories for this class, but also our writing in general.

    ReplyDelete