Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Reading Diary A: Homer's Iliad

I love the reading unit Homer's Iliad so far. Hector is one of my favorite characters from classic Greek literature. He is brave and strong and has such a love for Troy.

Andromache, Hector and their son Astyanax (Apulian red-figure
column crater circa 370-360 BCE)
One of my favorite scenes thus far is from the two part episode Hector and Andromache. Hector says something that reveals how faithful he is that the gods' will will be done no matter what the circumstances. After Andromache begs him to stay back from the fight, Hector says to her "Do not let these things trouble you. No man will be able to kill me, unless it be my fate to die. But fate no one may escape, whether he be a brave man or a coward."

This quote to me is evidence of how honorable and intelligent Hector is, and how trusting he is in the will of the gods. I also like this quote because I think it was a thoughtful way to comfort his wife. I like that he reminds her that fate is inescapable, and so if he is meant to die, he will die, regardless of whether he has taken up battle or hidden behind the walls. As a person of faith, I think it can be comforting to step back and remember that God has a will with which my own cannot compete, and that what will be, will be.

I also really liked the two part episode of the Embassy to Achilles. As a person who avidly hates Agamemnon (read Aeschylus' Agamemnon if you would like to hate him also), I never mind when he doesn't get his way. But also this scene is particularly interesting to me because I think its revealing of the depths of Achilles pride, anger, and stubbornness. I envision this scene being incredibly tense. Achilles is sitting in a room of friends who have come to beg forgiveness in Agamemnon's place. They attempt to guilt him with the words of his father, and ply him with promises of great gifts. I can see Achilles warring with himself over his love for the Greeks and his anger at Agamemnon. Further I think it must be rather enraging for Achilles to have friends try to shame him by arguing, rather bluntly, that he has dishonored and forgotten the pleas of his father Peleus.

Achilles is a very prideful character. He knows himself to be an invaluable warrior, and he regards himself very highly. To pluck at his honor by shaming him with the words of his father was not a great idea for Odysseus. Had they wanted to assuage Achilles anger and persuade him to fight again, it would have been far better to bring words of apology from Agamemnon as well as compliments to his character and his fighting, to make themselves to be desperate without his help. I think it is ultimately the methods they used in order to attempt to bring Achilles back which made him more determined to stay behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment