Sunday, January 4, 2015

Arezzo: My Very Very Favorite Place

This past summer I had the incredible opportunity to study abroad in Arezzo, Italy. I remember before arriving in Italy I had been so excited for the big name cities... Rome, Florence, Naples/Pompeii... and true to my expectations, those places did not disappoint. They were lively and beautiful, steeped in history. What I did not expect was to fall so completely in love with Arezzo, a small city in Tuscany which I had hardly heard about.
Personal photo from my apartment window in Arezzo, July 2014.
Arezzo is a sleepy town in some ways. There are always people on the streets, hanging out in the piazzas, sharing wine on the patio, however there is still a slowness to everything. No one is in a rush, there isn't the same hustle and bustle as there is in Rome and in Florence.

Arezzo sits on a hill and its ancient walls still exist around much of the city. It's a charming mix of old and new. One of my favorite places within in Arezzo was the park that sits directly on the top of the hill and looks out over the wineries, houses, and scenery that sits just beyond the old city walls. There is a drink stand at the top of the hill where you can buy beverages of all sorts. After class my friends and I would climb the rest of the hill and share a bottle of wine while we did our homework or just sat and talked. 
Personal photo taken at the park on top of the hill in Arezzo, July 2014.
Another thing that made me fall so in love with Arezzo were the constant city wide activities. Throughout the summer Arezzo will divide its city into four different neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods compete against each other in medieval contests like jousting. All throughout the city you will see the flags of each neighborhood hanging from the buildings. At night the piazzas would be filled with people, stages were set up in front of the fountains and free concerts were held. One night in the middle of a concert I was able to participate in a lantern festival. It was straight out of Tangled. Nothing can quite compare to the feeling of sitting with friends in my favorite piazza, listening to beautiful music and watching hundreds of colorful lanterns float across the sky. It was the most magical thing I have ever seen.
Personal photo of the lantern festival in Arezzo, July 2014.
I cannot wait until I have another opportunity to go back to this place. It was absolutely the most exceptional and magical experience of my life.


3 comments:

  1. What gorgeous pictures, Madeline - I love the one of the lantern festival especially. In fact, I need to pin that to the Myth-Folklore Pinterest Board; it's beautiful! And I am so glad you had a wonderful time in Italy! I spent a LOT of time at the University of Siena back in the 1990s when I was in graduate school, and I also got to visit Arezzo then. I was there for the Saracen, and I got to see the winning horse go into the cathedral to be blessed: a horse in a cathedral! SO COOL! Are you thinking about doing an Italian project for this class maybe? If so, let me know... if you read Italian, even better, because there are so many great resources online, and of course there are so many fabulous English translations online too. I hope you will have fun with the class... and I hope you will get to go back to Italy and visit many more times in the future! (Parli italiano? Io parlo italiano abbastanza bene: se vuoi, scrivimi in italiano!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Siena! That sounds like it would have been incredible! I am considering doing an Italian project for this class. I speak very little Italian though, so I would have to read English translations. (mais je parle français très bien!) I love French culture and history as well though, so I am considering doing a French project. If you have any suggestions as to resources for either I would love to hear them!

      Delete
  2. Siena is VERY likable! And there are so many possibilities: France and Italy are two of the great storytelling centers of the world! Maybe you will want to play with some kind of synergy between Boccaccio's Decameron and Margaret's Heptameron, such a beautiful example of one great storyteller inspiring another, and Margaret of Navarre is so fascinating! Anyway, those are both items you will see when you cruise the UnTextbook later this week. So much good stuff to explore!
    Decameron link
    Heptameron linke

    ReplyDelete