Sunday, April 19, 2015

Week 15: OU General Education Review

Michael Scott (honestly do we even need a caption?)
Some of my very favorite classes that I've taken at OU have been to fulfill my gen. ed. requirements. As a science major and particularly as a pre-health student, I basically eat, sleep, and breathe science. Sometimes it literally makes my brain feel like jelly... if anyone else took O Chem II, biochem, microbio and microbio lab all in one semester, you know what I'm talking about. Being surrounded by so much science makes taking classes that are completely opposite of that so refreshing.

I really love european history and  have a particular fascination with ancient Greek culture. Most of my gen. ed humanities courses have been involving those topics. I took European history 1500-1815 with Judith Lewis. AWESOME CLASS. I could literally listen to her talk about history all day long. Her class felt like story time all of the time. I learned so much, and she made the class so enjoyable. Her tests were all essay based which I actually really loved because I felt like I learned more and I was able to express my opinion about so many different events in history, particularly about women's roles in European history. 

I also took Greek Tragedy in English Translation with Ellen Greene. Another totally awesome class with a totally awesome professor. Her class was discussion based, and I loved that I was able to get to know and interact with my classmates. It was really fun to hear other people's interpretations of different pieces of literature, and to understand some of my favorite and also least favorite (looking at you Agamemnon) characters from different points of view. 

This class has been another class that I've loved because there is so much interaction with the other classmates, and I have gotten to read so many different people's versions and interpretations of awesome stories throughout a variety of cultures.

My gen ed experience at OU particularly with humanities courses has been incredibly positive. These classes have been some of my absolute favorites and I feel like I've been able to broaden my horizons and really immerse myself in subjects that are very different from my chosen field. Because I had so much freedom in choosing my classes for my humanities credits, I was able to find classes that really interested me, and ones in which I would feel motivated to learn and participate, and as a result the things I have learned in these classes have and will continue to stick with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment