Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Reading Diary B: Faerie Queen- Britomart

Britomart and Sir Artegall meeting
Okay so this unit (Faerie Queen- Britomart) is still so so good. It has been one of my favorite units to date! I'm so glad that we are in the British stories section of the class because I have been looking forward to this since the class started in January.

One of my favorite stories from the second half of the unit was the very first one called What Britomart saw in the Enchanted Chamber. There was not that much action in it, but it had such awesome descriptions. People named as feelings were described, their outfits and facial expression were given in detail. It was so so cool to read about the way Hope would be dressed or how Desire would dress and look. It was just such an interesting take that I had never thought to think about. I loved the way that the happier and uplifting emotions tended to have brighter and more extravagant clothes, while the more forlorn emotions tended to wear darker, simpler clothes. What a cool and interesting idea to utilize throughout the story.

I also really loved the very last story describing the end of Britomart's quest to find Sir Artegall. (How Britomart Ended her Quest). Although it was a little cheesy, I thought it was such a cool representation of the culture created by the code of chivalry in the time of knights. I really liked the description of Britomart's actions when she realized that the knight she had been fighting was her true love Sir Artegall. It describes her as trying to lift her weapon, and being unable to, and also trying to speak hateful words but only being able to say nice things. I thought that was so interesting and such a good representation about how love and change how we behave, and prevent us from doing things that we wish we could in the heat of anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment